Tuesday 21 September 2010

To love or not to love?

I've recently been joining the worlds of Twitter and Linkedin and realising that there's a whole heap more social and professional networking going on than I've realised, and I feel left out.  Whilst never exactly 'cutting edge', I do like to consider myself 'up to speed' on most things, and as a 'professional' Resourcing Manager I'm clearly missing a trick or five.
The problem has been that I have been out of love with the establishment I'm working in recently.  I'm fairly pragmatic underneath the insanity. I can deal with change and challenge and trauma as long as I understand the end game.  And the end game is not clear to me.  So I became demotivated and my level of emotional commitment bottomed out. Then I was ill, which is unusual. And didn't care about being off work. And so it goes and so it went.
I've been back at work for two days and seem to have some love back. I think that my body gave up for a little after a huge amount of time working solidly with no break.  I'm being lined up to work on a huge project which is exciting, challenging, and according to one Director a 'vote of confidence in my abilities'! I'm discovering the art of delegation. And I'm going to brave a networking event in the big city. Probably. Unless I bottle it. Which I am only aware of through Tweeting. I'm catching up!
So I guess my first question would be, do you have to be in love with the establishment you work in, to some degree, in order to do a good job? Are you more effective out of love? Does it make you challenge more?
I've got a good idea what has worked best for me in the past but maybe I need to change and evolve, and not just in terms of social and professional networking. I've always excused myself the emotional stuff because I was 'young', but I can't hide behind that one anymore!
In a nutshell - fight or flight?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Betty......good to see you writing and good to see here.

In short, you have to love it deep down, but remain healthily sceptical. Just my opinion, but what would I know, I make a blogging living all about moaning!

Oh and allow guest post will ya? It allows me to post as TheHRD on blogger.

BettyBBlonde said...

Thanks HRD...I'll try to do what you've asked even though I don't understand :-D