Friday 14 January 2011

Baffled

So it's a Friday night and I'm home with the OH after a stressful week and starting to write a blog post, with no preconceptions about what to write about.
I'm not a prolific blogger and have written about politics, Axl Rose and my Twitter buddies. I'm a fairly prolific Tweeter (not usually in work hours though; no time!) and enjoy reading some blogs from my Twitter buddies.
I freaked out a colleague of mine (who has become a friend actually) in Operations today by sending him a message asking him why he'd been looking at my Linkedin profile.  He hadn't realised it would tell me! He said he wanted to expand his network and had noticed that I've got a fairly decent network, and that I attend interesting events, and how could he improve his Linkedin presence and make good contacts? A fair enough question to be fair! He's often offered me a double vodka for my time and opinion. And I like double vodka very much.
Here's the rub: Twitter is my guilty secret.  I have a couple of 'real world' mates who follow me, but the truth is that my friends don't know that I tweet, and that I'm Betty. It's my therapy.  It's also been a remarkable way of improving my professional network.  However, I like that I tweet under an alias (although a few by now know my 'real' identitfy and I don't especially hide it) because it allows me the privilege of having a work-based rant without compromising my professionalism.
So my friend wants to know how to improve his network. And my truthful answer is to join Twitter!!
Shall I tell him the truth??

No comments: