Sunday 30 January 2011

Roast Potatoes!!

OK so I recently loving blogged on the virtues of the perfect bacon sarnie, seeing as we now have an #ilovebacon fanclub on Twitter!!  Today, I think that I made the perfect tray of roast potatoes! Naturally I've been trying to do this since learning how to cook a roast dinner, so I thought that I'd share the recipe but also encourage you to tell me yours. I've been amused this evening looking at different roast potato methods and am always trying to improve!!

Spuds: Sainsbury's Taste The Difference Heritage potatoes for roasting.  Cut the spuds into egg-sized chunks
Put in pan, wash through a couple of times, cover with boiling water and a sprinking of rock salt, bring to boil and par boil for about 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, add two tablespoons of semolina to a bowl.  Season generously with ground rock salt, freshly milled black pepper, and half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Drain spuds thoroughly, return to pan and shake to rough the edges. Sprinkle over the semolina and shake again to coat the spuds evenly.
Add three tablespoons of goose fat to the oven (about 200 degrees c) and heat until smoking.  Add the spuds and baste them in the goosefat. Turn after 20 minutes and chuck in three cloves of garlic (unpeeled)
Turn again after 15 minutes.
Check again after 10
They should be golden and crispy and delicious.
Nom nom nom!!

How do you cook yours??

1 comment:

Alana said...

Pretty similar actually. Only I chose Maris Piper or King Edwards. And no seasoning but definitely goosefat and also lemon juice when doing a lemon and garlic roast chicken.