Monday 17 January 2011

An ethical dilemma

Anyone who is unfortunate enough to follow me on Twitter will know that I've not been having the most fun at work recently.
I'm one of those weird people who genuinely loves their job. I love knowing that the talent that I bring in to the company can and does make a huge difference. I've loved the challenge of setting up our Graduate recruitment. I relish the trauma and insane hours of undertaking an organisational restructure.  So it's not really 'me' to be coming home every night deeply unhappy and ranting.
The main problem is - and I can't go into any details - that something happening at work is going seriously against my personal values.  And this isn't something that's necessarily unethical overall, but something that sits really uncomfortably with me.
I've put myself forward for additional opportunities and something new, and it's bitten me on the behind. I feel trapped, powerless and claustrophobic, and genuinely unable to speak to anyone about it who could make a difference.
I would genuinely love to know if others have found themselves in a situation where their personal values were compromised and what they did about it? Because I have - naturally - started to explore the job market, but equally I resent looking outside of a company that I've loved working at.
What would you do?

1 comment:

Alison Chisnell said...

Hmmm...I think when work goes against your personal values for any length of time, something has to change. I suppose it may be a case of working out what you have control over (if anything). So at the very least, you don't have to continue working there if you don't want to. But is there anything else that's under your control? Could you for example speak to anyone about it at work, change the activities you're doing or plan a move to a different team?

Not sure any of the above is much help, but I do hope you manage to resolve it and find your way forward.