Saturday 22 January 2011

I love bacon

I love bacon.  I really do. I have a bacon sarnie pretty much ever Saturday and Sunday. I get angry if my bacon is incorrectly prepared.  I am exceptionally fussy about how my bacon is prepared.
I don't know why I love bacon so much. Well, it is truly delicious. An affordable treat. Accessible, yet saved for weekends. It cures a hangover. I've even been known to have a bacon sarnie when I've come home really late and missed dinner.
I'm also rather partial to sausage, but definitely prefer bacon.  Bizarrely, I'm not keen on roast pork. Strange.
So after much chatting with @ailsasuttie and @dougshaw1 on what number of rashers etc make the optimum bacon sarnie, I've decided to let you into the secret of what makes my perfect bacon sarnie.  I'd then like you to comment and put what your perfect bacon sarnie is.  We bacon lovers can try new styles of sarnie, broaden our horizons, or even just turn our noses up at each others (pig) ignorance! This may have been done before, but I've not seen it so I don't care ;-)
So here goes:
EITHER toasted thinly sliced wholemeal bread, mainly cooled but still slightly warm OR really fresh thinly sliced white bread.  But preferably the wholemeal toast.
THREE rashers of smoked back bacon. M&S do a particularly nice one.  It must be lean, ideally with the fat removed
GRILLED (only fried if in a hurry) until lightly crispy.  The texture must have both a slight crunch on bite then be chewy. Anaemic, flabby, unsmoked bacon is my personal food hell.
KETCHUP. Heinz, and plenty of it. Circle the bread twice with a squeezy bottle and that should hit the spot.
SERVE on a slightly warmed plate with a large mug of tea, brewed for c4 minutes, with milk (no sugar)
PREFERABLY this will be consumed whilst still in a nice warm dressing gown.


Doug? Ailsa? I'm counting on your input!


Over to you guys - let me know your bacon heaven

3 comments:

ailsa said...

Food for thought indeed! Yours sounds nice and I would enjoy also agree that bacon sarnies go with strong tea.

My usual involves white bread, no butter, crispy grilled smoked bacon and brown sauce..has to be eaten hot and immediately.

My only deviation to this is if I have one in the evening then it is: white bread, mayo, thinly sliced tomatoes and crispy smoked rashers (three of usually). Its lovely but not trad!

Can't wait to hear what others have...

Doctor Bacon said...

Yo - this is Doctor Bacon with my bacon rap. Hit it...

Sometimes I wake with a frown
I need bacon to turn it upside down

I'm a real tough bacon man
I like to fry mine in a pan

I like mine from the back not streaky
I cut off all the fat, a bit freaky?

Brown bread white bread I don't care
I like to eat mine anywhere

Brown sauce red sauce both are great
there ain't nuthin better on my breakfast plate.

Word

Alana said...

We have bacon sandwiches every Saturday and Sunday morning for brunch and if we are going out and miss them then it feels like something is not quite right with the world!

Our version is:
* Toasted wholegrain/seeded bread (his lightly, mine a bit darker)
* Two slices of grilled, smoked bacon per sandwich (his anaemic, mine crispy) - Duchy Originals is the best but a bit pricey
* One fried egg per sandwich - over on the easy
* Thin layer of mayo
* Two slices of tomatoes per sandwich
* A big leaf of round lettuce per sandwich
* Cut into two triangles

However, on occasion I am also partial to the simple crispy, grilled bacon, butter, ketchup and soft white bap!

Yum!