Monday 17 January 2011

If I...

If I smiled first thing in the morning...I would not be me
If I made it through the day without teasing my man...I would not be me
If I found my keys on the first attempt
Went camping and didn't break the tent
I would not be me

If I was less stroppy because I cared less...I would not be me
If the children in my family didn't make my heart swell with joy...I would not be me
If I didn't torment my love about the quality of his brews
But quickly relent and state 'I love you'
I would not be me

If I wanted less and worked less and settled for average...I would not be me
If I faced crises with confidence....I would not be me
If I went a whole week without kissing my cats
And calling various people 'twats'
I would not be me

I will not apologise
For being a contradictory
Bag of energy
Wrapped in laziness and half-arsed intentions
I will smile through life and all its confusions
Whilst crying at its injustices
I will love those whom I love and protect them fiercely whenever I can
Whilst giving them wings where I can to fly and be free
And hope that they never feel the fear of inadequacy, or listen when people tell them that they are not good enough, not clever enough, not pretty enough, that the colour of their shirt lets them down
And encourage them to fight when they are pawns the games of others

I will not NOT be me
Even if you're not that keen!

No comments: